By George Busiinge
The company which is a joint venture between Colas, a UK Company, and SBI, an Israel company, was contracted by the government to build a euro230m Hoima airport at Kabaale parish in Buseruka Sub-County in Hoima district.
The residents however claim that they are being neglected in the recruitment to offer casual works despite work having started in December last year.
The residents led by Baziriyo Batwaiki and David Ssali say despite the intervention of government and leaders from Bunyoro region, SBC officials have declined to offer them jobs as agreed.
The residents also accuse SBC of failing to construct boreholes at Kitegwa, Kabaale and Nyamasoga villages as earlier promised.
Anent Kasoro, the Buseruka sub county vice chairperson wonders why SBC has failed to fulfill the demands of the public and leaders. Recently, The Minister of Works and Transport Monica Azuba Ntege ordered the Company that is in-charge of the construction of Hoima International Airport to reserve at least 30 percent jobs for the host communities.
The project is expected to create between 800 - 1,000 jobs both skilled, semi and unskilled. The airport is among the related infrastructure development activities meant to facilitate oil production in the Albertine Graben.
Efforts to get a comment from SBC company officials were futile as they couldn’t pick our repeated calls.
Latest from Earth Finds
- Albertine Graben Should Transit To Clean And Affordable Sustainable Renewable Energy
- Renewable Energy Most Competitive Source of New Power Generation
- More Trouble For BoU As FDC, Kadaga Agree To Let Katuntu Finish COSASE Banks Probe
- COSASE Inquiry Continues To Expose Bank Of Uganda Weakness
- Why Court Ordered Dfcu Bank To Pay Former Crane Bank Employee