Earth Finds

Earth Finds

Tribal Conflict Perpetrators In Bunyoro Face Arrest

By Busiinge George

Last week, unidentified people purporting to be leaders of non-indigenous Banyoro - locally referred to as Abafuruki, released an audio clip saying they are ready to defend their lives and property over an alleged plan to expel them from Bunyoro.

The clip broadcast on some local radio stations and circulated on social media alleges that the district chairperson was supposed to attend a planning meeting of the Bakiga community in which they would devise means of defending themselves against possible expulsion.

According to Kirungi, the District Security Committee reviewed the clip and found that it fuels ethnic tensions in the district. He denies receiving an invitation for a meeting by the Bakiga community in Hoima district and demands that police apprehends the masterminds of the recording as well as those who aided its broadcast and transmission as a way of expediting investigations.

Isaac Kawooya, the Hoima Resident District Commissioner, says they have received clues on the source of the clip, adding that investigations are ongoing. Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Regional Police Public Relations Officer, says they have set up a team of detectives to dig into the intentions of those behind the audio clip

There are also reports that the audio was concocted by some people who took advantage of a recent interim order issued by High court restraining land boards in Bunyoro sub region from issuing land titles on contested ancestral land.

Julie Acio, the Masindi High Court Assistant Registrar issued the order to Bunyoro Kitara Reparation Agency-BUKITAREPA on Thursday last week.

The order restrains the land boards in Kiryandongo, Masindi, Buliisa, Hoima, Kibaale, Kagadi and Kakumiro districts from issuing land titles on contested ancestral land until an application by BUKITAREPA is disposed of.

NIRA Launches Mass Registration Of Pupils In Bunyoro Region

By Busiinge George

The mass registration of children aged between 5 and 16 for the national identity card project has been launched in Bunyoro region. The launch held at Glory Summit Hoteri in Hoima on Tuesday, was attended by leaders from 9 districts of Bunyoro in preparation for the exercise which will cover all primary and secondary schools, across the country. The project will officially kick off on May 29 and end on August 25, 2017.

The registration is an undertaking by the National Identification Registration Authority-NIRA, a government entity mandated to register births and deaths in the country and to develop a National Identification Register for both citizens and legal residents.

Hon. Nansubuga R. Seninde who was the guest of honor at the launch told Earthinds that the exercise is aimed at capturing data of children in the age bracket that is not currently recorded in the national registry data bank.

The pupils will however not be given National Identity cards. Instead, they will be given a national identification number which will be used for the issuance of a National ID, once they turn 16. During the initial registration in 2014, the authority captured data for citizens aged above 16.

Hon. Nansubuga R. Seninde   , the state Minister of primary education said that the registration will also support proper planning in schools where government has been losing two billion Shillings annually due to the presence of ghost pupils.

Hon. Nansubuga, reminded parents and all the stakeholders to take children to licensed schools. Nansubuga says that pupils and students who will miss out on the registration process will not be allowed to sit for final exams at different levels of education.

Hoima District Internal Security Officer Captain Frederika asked NIRA to ensure that enough staff is recruited to conduct the exercise so that the second term of school is not affected.

Jumia Returns With Jumia Mobile Week Discounts

A month after the release of Jumia’s Mobile Whitepaper (which presented insights into key Mobile Penetration trends across Africa, and Uganda specifically) – Jumia has thrilled Ugandans with Jumia Mobile Week - a week of exclusive discounts on phones, tablets and mobile accessories. 

From the 22nd to the 28th of May you can expect to see discounts of UP TO 50% off on phones, tablets and mobile accessories, ONLY on www.jumia.ug or through the Jumia app. As usual, Jumia will deliver your order directly to you anywhere in Uganda (you can even expect next day delivery for Jumia Mobile Week orders within Kampala) – and you simply pay cash on delivery or through MTN mobile money. 

Here are some of the top deals:

 

 

Product Name

Market Price

Exclsuive Jumia Mobile Week Price

Discount Percentage

Tecno Camon CX

655,000

589,500

10%

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime Plus

520,000

434,500

16%

Samsung Galaxy Z2

690,000

441,000

49%

Fero Iris

415,000

375,500

10%

Samsung Galaxy S8

3,000,000

2,660,500

11%

Apple iPhone 7

3,000,000

2,600,000

13%

Huawei Ascend Y3II

350,000

263,500

25%

Droid Pad 10

1,100,000

856,500

22%

Itel S31

350,000

286,500

13%

Tecno L9

500,000

515,500

14%

Discounted accessories start from just 7,000 UGX – so don’t forget to order your discounted screen protectors, cases, covers, power banks, selfie sticks and earphones to go with your new phone. Jumia does not have a physical shop, so you have to place your orders through the website: www.jumia.ug or the Jumia App. 

Jumia Social Media:

Facebook – @JumiaMarketUG

Twitter - @JumiaUG

Instagram – @JumiaUG

#JumiaMobileWeek

 

BPE Oblivious Of Agip/Oando Planned Concession Of Port Harcourt Refinery

By Chineme Okafor

LAGOS, Nigeria: The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) is ignorant of the proposed rehabilitation and operation under a concession arrangement of the 210,000 barrels per day (bpd) Port Harcourt Refinery by oil firms – Nigeria Agip Oil Company (NAOC) and Oando Plc, THISDAY yesterday learnt from top sources in the privatisation agency. 

It learnt in Abuja that despite the BPE’s listing of the refinery along with Warri and Kaduna refineries on its privatisation schedule, it has however not been involved in plans by the federal government to concession the Port Harcourt refinery to Agip and Oando on a repair, operate and maintain basis, a transaction oil and gas business experts have faulted. 

One of the top sources within the privatisation agency confirmed to THISDAY that the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) have carried on the refinery concession plan without its involvement. He explained that the agency was in the dark on the concession arrangement, thus claiming that negotiations with the firms have been without it. 

The sources stated that even though the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) which is statutorily responsible for signing off on the privatisation and concession of such national assets has not been constituted by the government, the BPE should have been involved in the refinery concession which the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. IbeKachikwu, disclosed would be concluded in September. 

Kachikwu had earlier in May stated in Houston that the government had got bids from investors to revamp the three refineries, and would make known the preferred offers by September, however, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Oando, Mr. Wale Tinubu, subsequently disclosed that his firm had been selected to takeover Port Harcourt refinery, thus raising questions about the transparency of the selection process and the overall transaction. 

Similarly, experts who spoke to THISDAY on this stated that the process could be considered unlawful without the approval of the NCP. They also asked the ministry of petroleum resources and NNPC to show evidence of a transparent and competitive selection process from which Agip and Oando emerged as the best candidates to take over and repair the refinery. 

One of the experts, Mr. Dan Kunle, specifically queried the choice of Agip for Port Harcourt refinery, stating that Agip built the 125,000bpd Warri refinery and should have opted for it instead of Port Harcourt. 

Kunle said: “In 2015, I remember vividly the visit of the then GMD of NNPC which happens to be the minister of state now, Emmanuel Kachikwu, to Port Harcourt refinery, and he stated that they had spent $10 million to rebuild it and it was going to come on stream. What has happened, we need to know the truth.” 

He alleged that: “The interest of ENI/Agip in Port Harcourt refinery is a manifestation of the long vested interest of Oando in the refinery because they put in bids in the past for it but failed. 

“Agip has no technical record in Port Harcourt refinery, they built the Warri refinery and the propane plant in Warri refinery was built by Technimont. I would have expected the minister to look at that history and tell Agip/Eni, that even though they have rights to bid for Port Harcourt, they should look at Warri where they already have a technical record.” 

Speaking on the need for the approval of the NCP in such cases of assets’ concession, Kunle stated: “NCP is a life act, and I am surprised that they have not constituted it because they have the mandate to privatise the assets. 

“The NCP has to become conscious and wrestle the country from the politics of the petroleum ministry over the refineries. The ministry cannot sell or concession the refineries without the NCP represented by the BPE, and Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC). Besides, those companies are already scheduled in the privatisation timeline.” 

“If you are doing selective bidding, what makes Eni/Agip to qualify because it is Warri that they should be qualified for? What is the basis, how did they come about the people, where is the advert and prequalification criteria? They must be subjected to ethical corporate governance. This transaction has to be open and clear, otherwise nobody can take it over,” he added.

 

Subscribe to this RSS feed

26°C

Kampala

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 74%

Wind: 22.53 km/h

  • 24 Mar 2016 28°C 22°C
  • 25 Mar 2016 28°C 21°C